Contractor trouble slows Brac recovery

| 04/02/2009

(CNS): The National Recovery Fund says it has received over 200 applications from residents on Cayman Brac in need of repairs to their homes but has only managed to complete five projects so far. It has another 15 under construction and is assessing a further 100 projects, but says the lack of available contractors on the Brac is seriously hampering progress in the post Paloma reconstruction.

The NRF said it is working to get through all the applications as speedily as possible, and while work has been going well, the contractor situation is reminiscent of that on Grand Cayman in the wake of Hurricane Ivan in September 2004.

“This is a similar situation to what we saw after Hurricane Ivan, where there was a higher need than available contractors to do the work,” said Dr Mark Laskin, Director of the NRF.

“We trust that very soon we will have a balance of contractors and work available so as many people can be helped at the earliest date.” 

With the arrival on Thursday of HRH Prince Edward, who will be visiting the island to see the situation for himself, Laskin said the NRF is certain that the visit will raise the awareness of the aim to “build back better” and will offer hope to those whose lives have been devastated by this natural disaster.

“The NRF welcomes HRH Prince Edward to the Cayman Islands and (we) are extremely grateful that he is able to increase the visibility of both the continuing needs and the work that is being done there,” Laskin added.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category: Headline News

Comments (5)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Randy says:

    If anyone would like help in rebuilding their homes, send me an email. I have expressed my  willingness for information and wondering if I am waisting my time? 

    Anyway,

    Good luck and I hope things workout for everybody !

     

  2. Randy says:

    I would like some information on what is needed to help Brac as a contractor?

  3. Anonymous says:

    Let us rebuild our homes first, tourist will come after!

  4. Anonymous says:

    Luv ur Cayman, we all do. Your type we don’t need! Think you not that the Brac needs stayover tourists? Where dom you suggest they say? Brac Reef? Tiara? Brac Caribbean? Carib Sands? Shut up.

  5. Caymanluvr says:

    This is very sad to read when another Cayman news outlet reported earlier this week that Dilbert’s new hotel is slated to open in 6 to 8 weeks.  Get your priorities straight people!!  There is no way that hotel should have been allowed to finish to completion when there are people sun bathing in their living rooms!  Shame.