Former T&C premier accuses Brits of military coup

| 25/08/2009

(Turks and Caicos Sun): Former Premier Michael Misick described the British takeover of the Turks and Caicos Islands as a “military coup”, saying that the UK even had a war ship in Turks and Caicos Islands waters. In a press release issued on Tuesday August 18, 2009, Misick strongly criticised British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and the British Government for suspending parts of the Constitution of the Turks and Caicos Islands and imposing direct rule on the country for at least two years. Misick was also highly critical of the Advisory Council that was announced by Governor Gordon Wetherell and he called on all Turks and Caicos Islanders to “unite and fight against the occupation of the foreign invaders”.

Go to article

Overseas Territories Review has published a commentary today:

Re-Colonising the Colony: Direct British Rule in the Turks & Caicos Islands

Missick pictured above with ex-wife acress LisaRaye.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category: World News

About the Author ()

Comments (51)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    Its for Chuckie to decide whether he wants to run again or not but I bet you the time will come, very soon, that you will wish you had him in the LA again.

  2. Anonymous says:

    To poster @ 11:01…………………..Chuckie is gone, gone for good!!!!!!!!!!

  3. Anonymous says:

    Cayman has once again inadvertently put itself in the position, due mainly to an upset electorate over the global recession and its impact on Cayman, of having the uneducated leading the educated !!!

    Julianna, Ezzard, Rolston, CG and Mark it is time for you all to take action and remove the bull from the grass piece before the farm is destroyed. What are you all so damn afraid of ?? You have the numbers on your side. If this doesn’t happen soon the country is going to remove all of you because you are simply not up to the job despite your rhetoric.

    The time has come !!!

    And whats worse there is no real opposition in the LA !!!!!!!!! Chuckie is gone and he was the only one with the guts to fight McKeeva. Very sad state of affairs.

  4. Nonnie Mouse says:

    It is interesting that one of the first points The Economist made when summarising the nature of the problems in T&C was the immaturity of the political system which restricted voting to Belongers.  Island dependencies with more open-minded developed political rights for inhabitants have less issues with corruption as a result of a broader electoral base.  If a candidate can get elected to the LA with under 300 votes Cayman is little better than a group of rotten boroughs – a point which was also echoed in the same article.

    • Anonymous says:

      Restricting the right to vote to Belongers has nothing whatsoever to do with any misbehaviour in office of Mr. Missick. Have the politicians in "mature political systems" proved to be any less corrupt? I think not. What is that intended to imply – that non-Belongers are somehow less susceptible to corruption? What an arrogant statement. The right to vote is normally associated with citizenship of a country. In the case of a territory the nearest equivalent is Belongership.  There is nothing "immature" about that.

      • frank rizzo says:

        I believe the "immaturity" comes from the more or less accepted practice of "buying" votes, slack or non-existant campaign finance regulations, construction politics, handouts and preferential treatment for those who "know" someone, non adherence to and outright manipulation and misuse of Crown land…the list goes on….read the transcripts.

        The expectation of political candidates to "help" their constituents with their phone bill, electric bill, appliances, driveways etc. feeds into this immaturity and needs to stop if caribbean nations are to advance on the global scale.

        I also agree with your statement about the franchise for Belongers v misbehaviour in office. Citizens should have the sole right to vote in a democratic society, in my opinion.  TCI, Cayman, and perhaps other developing caribbean nations are in the position of having more migrants than citizens and to effectively disenfranchise over half of the population could and has led to difficulties. But this is not a new problem.

        http://www.nwo.nl/NWOHome.nsf/pages/NWOA_7DCBVR_Eng

        • Anonymous says:

          You make some good points about political immaturity, Frank. Mind you this also happens in "mature" democracies like the U.S. Why do you think some people get ambassadorships after an election when they have no relevant experience or training for the job? Isn’t that the problem with Congressional "pork"?

          However, as you apparently recognize the answer is not handing out the right to vote to everyone.

      • A lone voice in the dark says:

        Yes but in the UK if you have citizenship you can vote. In the CI it is only Belongers – so the ones who make it their home and have residency and work are apparently not allowed to contribute.  And yes I believe in a population where only Belongers vote it leads to corruption.  As an expat I have been threatened by Caymanians that if I do something at my strata they will get my work permit revoked, I have been told not to say certain things about corruption or backhanders because, I will get my work permit revoked.  I have even been told by police officers that I need to be careful because they will be there when my tail light has gone if I report certain things I have got to know.  You never know who knows who on what committee here and if you try to stamp out corruption in completely unrelated place eg in a strata you get threatened.  Terrible and in my view immature.

        • Anonymous says:

          That is immature but a lot of those threats are empty. Complaints are required to be disclosed to you and you have the opportunity and right to respond as a matter of the requirements of natural justice. The Boards have to account for their actions. Their decisions are subject to appeal and judicial review. You have the Freedom of Information Law on your side. It is not nearly so bleak as you imagine.   Actually the system now works against Caymanians. Employees who make legitimate complaints against their employers to the Boards are dismissed and have no protection.

          If you want the right to vote then become a full citizen – become naturalized as a BOTC and then obtain Caymanian status. It is unfair to expect to expect this right to be given to expats who are here today and may be gone tomorrow.

        • Anonymous says:

          Any Commonwealth citizen can vote in the UK.

          As Cayman is British territory, barring British citizens the right to vote or stand in elections here seems a fairly clear breach of the European Convention on Human Rights. Tick tock.  The new Constitution breaches those rights.  Justice will come.  Tick tock.

          • Anonymous says:

            True, any commonwealth citizen can vote in the UK but that is hotly debated there and there are plans to remove that right as anachronistic.

            We are a territory of the UK and not a part of the UK so there is no question of any breach of human rights under the European Convention. Your right to vote is in the UK, not in Cayman. In the worse case scenario that would simply be a derogation to the Convention. What you are proposing would essentially eliminate the right to self-determination by Caymanians. OVER MY DEAD BODY.

            This stance is amusing given the many years that as BOTCs we had no right of abode in Britain. Indeed as BOTCs we still have no right of abode, we have it only on the basis that we have been granted, on a non-reciprocal basis, British Citizenship. Apparently the distinction between BOTCship and British Citizenship was good then. Now it is convenient for it to be erased when the shoe is on the other foot. Hypocrites!

            • Anonymous says:

              to Anonymous on 26/8 at 15.39 – I am afraid you are inaccurate about the right of abode in the UK of BOTC – all BOTCs DO have a right of abode in the UK EXCEPT the residents of the SBA of Cyprus – this was changed by the Bitish Overseas Territories Act 2002.  As for your assessment of the EC on Human Rights affecting the right of a British Citizen to vote etc – "over my dead body" I believe that in time with some litigation take all the way to Europe you may well find that it is "over your body" – the ECHR is applicable to Cayman as persons inCayman have a direct right of petition (indeed some criminal cases are already on their way).  It will just depend on someone having sufficent motivation and funds.

              • Anonymous says:

                If you read my comments and the Overseas Territories Act carefully you will see that my comments are completely accurate. The Overseas Territories Act granted us British Citizenship. It is by virtue of British Citizenship (not British Overseas territories Citizenship) that we have the right of abode in the UK.

                We are ready for you. Hypocrites!

                • Anonymous says:

                  The UK is obliged to comply with its obligations under the ECHR pursuant to the Human Rights Act under UK law.  This extension of the franchsie, when it comes, will merely be protecting the right of self-determination by ensuring that the "self" includes the properly defined body of voters consistent with basic human rights.

                  • Anonymous says:

                    It already does. It has to do with being a BOTC/Caymanian. Nothing to do with British Citizenship. It would be a travesty to grant 60m UK citizens the right to vote in Cayman merely because it is a territory of Britain. That  comes from your colonialist mentality, not human rights.

  5. Anonymous says:

    Mike check indeed. The very people involved in this intollerable corruption in the TCI are now operating in the highest levels of our government.

    The Jamaican born head of Southern Health Network was granted Caymanian status by the UDP government in 2004 and remains very close to the UDP top brass. His former employee, Mike Adam, is now a cabinet minister.

    Its time for the UDP to disavow Misick, Howell and some of these other XXXXX characters backing the party before the Cayman Islands are lumped in with all the other Caribbean banana republics.

    McKeeva Bush, you need to decide once and for all whether you stand with the christians or the croneys.

    And Rolston Anglin, how long will you stand by and say nothing while your party cavorts with some of these elements? You’re integrity is wearing very thin …

  6. Too small says:

    Cayman is too small to become a viable independent state.  Independence would kill the offshore industry overnight and with that loss of jobs and revenue so would go the tourism once the crime rocketed.

    • Anonymous says:

      I know of a certain politrikcian, oops I meant politician, that would love this Island to go independent. Yeah the ole bo bo must have everything crossed praying that would happen!

  7. Tim Ridley says:

    CNS readers and the community at large should take note of the Cayman Anti Corruption Law and Commission that go live 1 January 2009. My viewpoint article on what needs to be done to make the Commission effective will appear shortly. Time is running out and strong messages need to be sent to the Government and the Governor that prompt action is needed to make the Commission something Cayman can have confidence in.

    CNS: The VP is posted

  8. Anonymous says:

    Why can’t an independent Cayman be like Barbados? why is it always a big fear that an independent Cayman will become another Jamaica?

    • Anonymous says:

      Have any of the local politicians acted in a way to make anyone think that and independent Cayman would not be at least as bad as Jamaica or worst?

    • Anonymous says:

      I agree. While no country is perfect, Barbados is a fine model of an independent former UK colony. One of Barbados’s key ingredients is an educated population. It has one of the highest literacy rates in the world. We’re not there yet. Interestingly, it is rare to hear of a Bajan in trouble in Cayman. Bajans, any other key ingredients that you would like to point out?

    • Anonymous says:

      Because it’s full of Caymanians, as opposed to Barbadians.

      Barbadians retained everything that Cayman has lost and continues to lose. If Cayman were to have stayed as it were, it might be like Barbados on taking independence.

      But it didn’t.

      It’s becoming Jamaica even without independence.

      It’s not a fear.  It’s just a fact.  That and bars on the windows and guns in the street.  It’s just your new way of things.

      • frank rizzo says:

        My last visit to Barbados was about seven-eight years ago, and I saw a lot of bars on windows and Rottweilers on duty in the yards. We, the Caribbean, have all got problems and there may be some bitter pills to swallow in the future in order to recover and progress.

      • Anonymous says:

        Very well put!

      • Anonymous says:

        How racist and ignorant can you be. Incidentally, Caymanians are a minority in Cayman so its not full of Caymanians but mostly expats. In that sense it has not "stayed as it were".  When it was full of Caymanians crime was low. That is a fact. Barbadians doesn’t have so many expats, that’s why its full of Barbadians. Barbados has fairly strict immigration policies, even for citizens of other Caricom countries. That is another fact.

        • Anonymous says:

          I can’t be as racist and ignorant as you can, it appears.  On your own post, YOU AGREE WITH ME!!! Barbadians choose one course of action, and Caymanians chose a completely different course of action. You agree that the result of these choices is that Cayman is becoming like Jamaica (sorry Jamaica) whilst Barbados is not.

          That’s a fact, Jack.  Glad you agree, but please try not to be  racist or ignorant.

          • Anonymous says:

            Huh? Engage brain before posting. That post made absolutely no sense.

            • Anonymous says:

              Go to the store and pick up another 35 IQ points so as to double your present capacity, then try reading it again.

              Big nose.

      • Anonymous says:

        Interestingly, Barbados and Cayman seem to have some issues in common and both are slandered similarly.

        http://guardian.co.tt/business/business/2009/08/25/barbados-pm-holds-firm-immigration

  9. Anonymous says:

    And here is another matter that former Minister Clifford warned you all about……the UDP will bring this country to shame. You just wait until they start to unravel Southern Health Network’s connection to the TCI scandal…..just wait !!!

  10. Anonymous says:

    I was unaware Mr. Bulgin granted himself Caymanian Status, now it all makes sense.

    Here is a quote and links that show how cozy we are with TCI.

    http://www.balleralert.com/forum/topic/show?id=2015113%3ATopic%3A95900

    http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/cgi-script/csArticles/articles/000012/001247.htm

    "One other point of controversy in the TCI that also has relevance to the Cayman Islands is the fact that the TCI attorney general was granted Belongership while in office. There appears to be some strong sentiment in the TCI that this was highly inappropriate and may therefore also be investigated by the Commission of Enquiry.

    However, exactly the same thing happened in the Cayman Islands in 2003, when their current attorney general, Sam Bulgin, was granted Caymanian Status (Belongership) by the Cabinet.

    Not only did Mr Bulgin sit in Cabinet at the time and, therefore, participate in granting himself Belongership, his presence during those meetings was used by then Leader of Government Business, now Leader of the Opposition, McKeeva Bush, as evidence of the legality of such grants when they were subsequently challenged by the Caymanian Bar Association.

    In the words of former Cayman Islands Chief Justice, Mr George Harre, “Surely that situation should be professionally intolerable to any legal adviser as well as to the other parties involved. Conflicts of interest abound.”

  11. Anonymous says:

    If our Caribbean sister is under attack by an invader undertaking a military coup, we should rise to her defence! To the cat boats men! Tonight we sail for the Turks and Caicos Islands!!! Arrrrrrr!!!

    • Anonymous says:

      … And we be stocking barrels of rum for the long journey… Arrrr!!

  12. Anonymous says:

    Well… also, Cayman need to realize that if you remain a colony under the UK, you are not independent to do your own thing.

    The big scare in Cayman is, if we go independent, we will become like Jamaica. I hear these fear tactics repeated over and over again in our media. Also, very interestingly, in history, countries (except the U.S. which fought against England) have been known to experience an economic downturn as soon as they went independent from her. Hmmm… British investors and those interested in wealth, I believe, were involved in this!

    Now, Cayman Islands is spending millions of dallars that are being sent overseas. It makes me wonder if the present government is for the people or for making a profit and satisfying her overseas clients. I hope this is not the case.

  13. Anonymous says:

    Oh those Birds of a Feather…..how they Flock Together. Wasn’t Mac flocking with him in the TCI over the past 4 years and wasn’t Mac there with him to celebrate his last election victoy. Do the research CNS !!! And what really is Southern Health Network’s role in all of this and to what extent is at least one UDP Minister involved ??? Can I have a Mike please !

    We see that the criminal investigation is about to strat and the corruption in TCI was so entrenched that the UK has also suspended that part of the constitution that provides the right to trial by a jury. I have to assume that this is the only way that they can guarantee fair trials and the criminals are sent to prison.

    Some people in high places in Cayman must be very nervous right about now !!!

    • frank rizzo says:

      Oh s#$t!!See last paragraph/sentence.

      From: Turks and Caicos Islands Government Information Service

      Date: Thu, 27 Aug 200919:44:42 -0400

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FROM:

                                                 THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS

                                        GOVERNMENT INFORMATION SERVICE (TCI-GIS)

                  SPECIAL PROSECUTOR HELEN GARLICK INTRODUCED TO TCI

      PROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos Islands; Thursday, August 27th, 2009 – Earlier today at the Hilly Ewing Building on Leeward Highway in Providenciales, H.E the Governor – Gordon Wetherell – introduced special prosecutor Helen Garlick to the Turks and Caicos Islands.

      Ms Garlick is responsible for the Investigation and Prosecution team that will be reviewing Sir Robert Auld’s Interim Report. That team is charged with the responsibility of undertaking an independent criminal investigation.

      The RT HON SIR Robin Auld, as the sole appointed Commissioner for the Turks and Caicos Islands Commission Of Inquiry 2008-2009 concluded in his report that there was a high probability of systemic corruption in government and the legislature and among public officers in the TCI Government in recent years.

      And now, accordingly – one of the sixty-five recommendations advanced by Sir Auld was for the appointment of a Special Prosecutor for the criminal investigation and prosecution of matters that may arise out of the report.

      Garlick stated that her first line of business is to comply with all the laws of the Turks & Caicos Islands while undergoing these investigations, and “Unlike an Inquiry, that is open to the public a criminal investigation is a confidential process that will cover the wide range of allegations.”

      The Investigation and Prosecution Team will have two months to overlook Sir Robin Auld’s Interim Report to find which areas require criminal investigations. Moreover, the special investigation and prosecution team is prepared to have contact with and receive information from anyone who may be able to assist in the discharge of its responsibilities.

      Garlick further explained she will be completely objective and independent in her judgment and her philosophy is “Don’t target persons but target projects to find information and unlike the inquiry that can only conduct investigations in this jurisdiction. The Investigation and Prosecution team can reach out to other jurisdictions.”

      END
  14. Anonymous says:

    Isn’t he Mac’s buddy ??? Hmmm…….

  15. Hurry up! says:

    Quick, come save us too, please come quickly!

  16. Anonymous says:

    "Sequel coming soon !!!"

    Not Soon enough!
  17. Anonymous says:

    Sequel coming soon !!! This time set in the Cayman Islands

  18. Anonymous says:

    Of course this person of questional moral values would play the nationalism card and not take responsiblity for his behavior in office. Hopefully the people in the T. & C. will see through this rhetoric.

    • Anonymous says:

      You are missing the point. If he misbehaved in office then there is appropriate legal recourse against him in the courts. It does not require all democratic institutions in the territory to be suspended which affects every TCI Belonger and is an affront to their right to self-determination.

      • Anon848 says:

        …only if the courts function.  Corrupt courts don’t provide justice, they sell results.  This is why the T&C needed to be recolonized: they ceased functioning as a legally effective democratic unit.

        Please remember that point every time Cayman’s courts are the subject of debate.  The fact that they function so well is the last fortification of the island’s democratic system.  If that were to fall, we’re done.

        • Anonymous says:

          You are so right.

          In our Cayman Islands our legal system has failed us.

          The Attorney General reneged on his sworn responsibiltiy to uphold the constitution.  Why did he do this, because he owed so much to Mac.

          For once the UK’s FCO did what was right but only after being kicked in their butt by the UK’s House of Commons, Foreign Affairs Committee and Meg Munn was fired for asleep on her TCI watch.

          Cayman watch out or we will soon be like TCI – OH you say it can not happen here.

          FOOL you.

      • frank rizzo says:

        XXXXXXX

        "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." Samuel Johnson, 7 April 1775

        Corruption and maladministration was so deeply rooted in TCI politics (and the Caribbean, in general from reading the Inquiry transcripts) that these XXXX really believed they were doing the right thing. GB had no choice but to suspend the Constitution and administer the territory in order to clean up the financial mess and find someone with enough brains and integrity to run the country. The "democracy" was in name only.

        • Anonymous says:

          The choice would be to allow the people to elect new leaders. The UK Constitution (such as it is) isn’t suspended when their leaders are found guilty of corruption.