Search over for missing five boaters

| 18/01/2010

Cayman Islands News, Grand Caymna local news, Five lost at sea, Royal Cayman Islands Police Service(CNS): After hundreds of hours searching land and sea, the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service Marine Unit has called off the search for the five people lost at sea eight days after it began. Police confirmed on Monday morning, 18 January, that the operation had been called off and the families had been made aware of the decision, which was taken following a thorough evaluation of the searches undertaken to date, areas covered, currents analysis, and the weather conditions, both at the time of the incident and in the following days. (The 26ft canoe which was found days after the five were reported missing on Sunday, 10 January)

The families of Raynell Wood, Astor Range, Joshua Gilman, Jeamie Avila and Michelle Wood  told the RCIPS that they are comfortable with the decision and fully understand the reasons for doing so.

Chief Inspector Courtney Myles, the officer co-ordinating the search for the group, said it had already been a difficult week for the families as the unit moved from what was originally a search and rescue operation into a search and recovery mission as hopes faded of finding any of the group alive.

“Hundreds of hours have been spent conducting air, land and sea searches for Raynel, Astor, Joshua, Jeamie and Michelle, in the hope of bring some kind of closure to the families. We will, of course, continue to provide support to the families and keep them fully updated with any developments," Myles added.

Inspector Brad Ebanks of the RCIPS Marine Unit said the community response to the tragedy had been phenomenal. “Every single day we’ve been inundated with calls from people and private companies, volunteering to help either by coming out their own boats, searching on wave runners, providing aircraft, conducting land searches or by working alongside our divers,” he said. “On behalf of RCIPS and the families I would like to extend out heartfelt thanks for that effort and commitment.”

Category: Local News

Comments (6)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    Rest with God my friends.

  2. Keith says:

    Very sad, my condolences to all the families involved.

  3. Anonymous says:

     This is heart breaking. My heart goes out to the families. Michelle, I know we’ll meet in paradise. R.I.P :'(

  4. yensi ebanks honduras says:

    my  heart never forget  my friend aston range  his  my friend forever in  my life .

  5. Anonymous says:

    R.I.P.

  6. Anonymous says:

    My heart goes out to the families of the missing. I can not imagine what you are going through. Know that you will get closure, it may not be today or tomorrow, but the day will come. Please know that there are 50,000 people thinking about you as we are all saddended by this awful tragedy and loss.