Bomb hoax caller could be mental health patient

| 16/03/2010

(CNS): Police have confirmed that they believe they have identified the individual responsible for yesterday’s bomb hoax call made to the First Caribbean Bank, yesterday morning Monday 15 March. The RCIPS said on Tuesday that officers are working with medical authorities and the legal department to determine the individual’s medical condition and whether it is appropriate to bring charges in this case at this time. The call which was received by the bank at around 9:30am led to the evacuation of all three ofthe banks branches and police also blocked off roads in the down town George Town area, bringing business to a standstill.

Tom Crawford, the bank’s Managing Director, said yesterday that he was pleased with the expedient way in which the banks emergency plan was executed and there had been minimal disruption to business operations as a result of the incident.

Bomb scares and hoaxes are extremely rare in Cayman but in May 2004 the RCIPS dealt with a bomb hoax on board a cruise ship in George Town Harbour and in September 2006 another hoax caused  a stir on Seven Mile Beach at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites, on West Bay Road.

Category: Local News

Comments are closed.