More charges in kidnapping

| 06/04/2010

(CNS): The police have now charged a total of four people in connection to the kidnapping of a male victim last month. Sywell Allan Kelly, a 40-year-old Honduran national, was charged with abduction, keeping in confinement an abducted person, blackmail, threatening violence and assault ABH, while Richard Robert Hurlston (32), a Caymanian, was charged with abduction, keeping in confinement an abducted person and blackmail, when the two men appeared in court this afternoon (Tuesday 6 April).  These two men join Wespie Mullings-Ramon (36) and Charles Feliz Saunders-Webster (28), both Honduran nationals, who were charged in court with similar abduction offences on Monday 29 March.

In the first kidnapping and ransom case to ever occur in the Cayman Islands, the parents of the victim reported to police that they received a phone call on Thursday, 18 March, from a man claiming to have taken their son hostage and demanding a ransom of hundreds of thousands of dollars to secure his release. The parents were told by the kidnappers that they would kill the victim if they contacted the police. However, a few days later the victim managed to escape.
Police then arrested Mullings-Ramon at about 1:00 pm on Saturday, 20 March, at Owen Roberts International Airport as he attempted to flee the country. On 23 March, Saunders-Webster was also arrested at theairport as he too tried to flee the Cayman Islands. On 29 March, Kelly was arrested at the Elgin Road Immigration office, while Hurlston was arrested during a police operation in George Town on Tuesday 30 March. The RCIPS said that enquiries into the kidnapping continue.

Category: Headline News

Comments are closed.