Archive for January 7th, 2012

Barriers and signs to be erected at Pedro bluff

| 07/01/2012 | 52 Comments

PEdro bluff 2.jpg(CNS): The owners of the land in the Pedro cliffs area where the lives of two young men were claimed over the Christmas and New Year holidays have agreed that barriers and signs can be put up at the location in an effort to deter people from diving into the ocean. Police said Saturday that representatives of the RCIPS, the Port Authority the Tourism Attraction Board met Friday to discuss the issue of cliff jumping from the bluff with a view to finding solutions to prevent further deaths at the site. “The meeting was very productive and a number of ideas and possible solutions were discussed, including continuing public education about the dangers of jumping off at the site,” a police spokesperson said.

The property owner with the assistance of government has agreed to erect barriers, "No Trespassing Signs," as well as other signs warning people of the dangers of being on or near the edge of the cliffs.

This work will be carried out with the help of the public works department and the roads authority.

The decision to try and deter people from jumping comes after 16 year old Justin Henry and 21 year old Adam Rankine drowned after either jumping or falling from the cliffs during the vacation.

Justin was killed on the afternoon of Boxing Day (Monday 26 December) after he got into difficulty in the rough waters in the area and despite efforts firstly by his friend, and later the emergency services, to rescue him. The marine unit pulled Henry’s body out of the water the following morning. Then only days later on New Year’s Day (Sunday 1 January) Adam drowned a short time after jumping into the ocean. Although rescue services got to the scene shortly after the alarm was raised emergency personnel were unable to save him.

In the days following the tragic deaths teens were still spotted jumping in the area which has been a popular spot for ocean jumping over the years both among locals and visitors.
 

Continue Reading

Pizza delivery man robbed

| 07/01/2012 | 34 Comments

Crime-Scene.jpg(CNS):  Updated 11:25  — A man attempting to deliver pizza in Victory Avenue, Prospect was set upon by robbers Friday night at around 9:50pm, according to a police report. The RCIPS have now confirmed that the man suffered head injuries and was taken to the Cayman Islands hospital for treatment after he was attacked by a group of males as he arrived at the location. Although there were reports of gunfire at the time the delivery, the driver was not shot but was hit on the head and knocked to the ground as he approached the delivery address on foot. A police spokesperson said that no descriptions of the male attackers have been given and so far no witnesses have come forward about the first robbery of 2012.

The suspects stole a wallet and other personal items belonging to the victim, who has since been released from the hospital. Police were called to the scene of the crime by the residents at the property where the driver was delivering the pizza. Although a search of the area was made shortly after the robbery no one was arrested.

Anyone who has any information regarding the robbery, is asked to contact George Town police station on 949-4222, the RCIPS tip-line 949-7777 or the confidential Crime Stoppers number 800-8477(TIPS).

Continue Reading