Archive for March 4th, 2012

Over 500 search for Nathan

| 04/03/2012 | 2 Comments

P1010039 (219x275).jpg(CNS): Over 520 volunteers as well as 39 police officers have now spent more than 28,000 man hours searching for the 31-year-old missing teachers' aide, Nathan Clark. One week after the British man disappeared from Seven Mile Beach close to Calico Jack's the only trace of him has been his mobile phone, which was found in the ocean. Despite the week-long massive search on land and sea involving RCIPS marine vessels, a fixed wing aircraft, hundreds of civilian volunteers and officers, divers, snorkelers, and a privately chartered helicopter, no other trace of Nathan has been found. Police called off the search Sunday afternoon as a result of  prevailing weather conditions in the Seven Mile Beach area.

Nathan had been out with his partner and friends on Saturday evening. He was last seen walking towards the water’s edge around 8.30pm.

Chief Inspector Richard Barrow, Area Commander for West Bay commended the volunteers who have come out over the past week to help search for Nathan.

"Hundreds of people have worked tirelessly alongside our officers to try and locate Nathan and find some answers for his family and friends," he said. "We cannot thank the volunteers enough. Our search coordinators have been overwhelmed by the determination of those involved not to give up."

On the night he disappeared he had a cell phone and a wallet in his possession. The cell phone was found on Wednesday afternoon around 50 metres offshore from the Calico Jack's area by a cruise ship visitor snorkelling in the area. His black Fossil wallet has not been found, nor has a pair of black Nautica sunglasses which he may have also had with him that night.

Hours of CCTV footage from cameras in the West Bay Road area, which runs adjacent to the beach, have been viewed. So far nothing has been seen to indicate that Nathan left the beach to go onto that road.

On Saturday evening (3 March) officers again attended Calico Jack's and the adjacent beach to speak with anyone who may have been in the area last Saturday.

"While we have had dozens of officers in that area every day in the last week, either involved in the search or interviewing people, the purpose of tonight's visit was specifically to try and jog the memory of anyone who was there at the same time as Nathan last Saturday,” Barrow explained.

Nathan's parents arrived in Grand Cayman from the UK on Saturday, and although police have updated the family regularly while they were still in England, when they arrived on island they were met at the airport by a senior RCIPS officer, who provided them with a further briefing on the search for their son.

The water search has resumed Sunday and experienced divers can join the search again at 1pm at the command centre on public beach. 

Anyone with informaiton can call the RCIPS on 949 3999 and send images to nathanclarkeinfo@yahoo.com

Continue Reading

Victim fights off gunman

| 04/03/2012 | 12 Comments

(CNS): A resident of Greenwood Drive, off Washington Blvd in George Town took on two masked assailants armed with a gun in the early hours of Sunday morning when they attempted to invade his home. Police said that officers were called to the scene at around 1.18am where a man living at the property said as he entered his residence he was approached by two masked men dressed in full black clothing, who pointed a gun at him and ordered him not to move. The victim however, slapping the gun away from him and ran into his house. The gunmen fled the scene and police say they have a vehicle currently in police custody but no arrests have been made at this time.

No one was injured in the incident and no shots were fired at this time police have no further descriptions of the would-be robbers. The incident is now under investigation by the RCIPS Criminal Investigation Department.

Anyone with information on this crime is asked to call any of the police stations or Crimestoppers on 1800TIPS (8477).
 

Continue Reading