Missing man’s parents leave Cayman with no answers

| 19/03/2012

Nathan Clarke 24 Feb 2012(3).jpg(CNS): The parents of the 31-year-old teachers’ aide who went missing on 26 February from the beach near Calico Jack’s Bar along Seven Mile Beach left the island Saturday not knowing what has become of their son. Although there was a massive search for the British resident of West Bay involving hundreds of people and thousands of man hours, the only trace of Nathan Clarke since he was last seen that evening is his cell phone, which was found on the ocean bed by a visiting snorkeler. Although the case remains open, the police called off the physical search last week on the basis that Nathan,despite being a water-sports expert, may have very likely drowned.

“It is now three weeks since our son (and brother to Sam and Dan) Nathan went missing and we leave the island none the wiser as to what has happened to him,” his parents said in a statement released by the RCIPS on Monday. “After two weeks of intensive searching by police and 100s of volunteers on land and sea there has been no positive indication of his whereabouts and so he remains a missing person. The police assure us that their investigation will continue albeit on a lower level and once again call on all of you wonderful people of Grand Cayman to remain vigilant and report anything which may aid their enquiries.”

Nathan’s parents said that new posters detailing Nathan's missing personal items are now being circulated so even those on holiday, diving, snorkelling or simply taking a stroll along the beach will know to report anything unusual or hand in any items which may be one of the missing belongings.

“We cannot express enough our gratitude to the 100s of volunteers for their ceaseless searching, unending concern for our welfare and their generosity in making sure everything we could ever need was at our disposal, they said. “We leave here feeling numb and helpless but take with us an understanding of Nat's life here.  The love and respect you all have for him gives us hope that answers will soon be found.”

Category: Local News

Comments (5)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    This must be the most challenging and heart wrenching situation a family will ever face and my sympathy goes out to Nathan's family.

    XXXX

    Another Cayman mystery.

  2. Anonymous says:

    Heartbreaking!

    My thoughts & prayers go out to his family, fiance, friends and all the students whose lives were influenced by Nathan each day.

    • Anonymous says:

      I think I speak for the UCCI faculty when I say how much I admired Nathan's application to his studies, his intelligence, his people-sense, very obvious even in the short half-semester in which I taught him.

      I will always remember Nathan, and say to his parents and fiancee that while there is no "getting-over" this, they will get through these dark days and they will come to bear the pain.

      My thoughts are with them — and I join others in conveying my admiration for the dignity which they have exhibited.

      Know that if we could have done anything to help you and Nathan — to make this easier — we would have.

  3. Anonymous says:

    My sincere condolences go out to the parents of Nathan. It is a horrible situation and perhaps at some point answers will be forthcoming.

  4. Anonymous says:

    My heart goes out to Nathans family and loved ones who have shown the most incredible amount of courage and dignity throughout this awful ordeal. Please know that we will never stop looking for Nathan and will always hold you all in our prayers.