Man remanded on sex crimes

| 27/03/2012

connor.jpg(CNS): A 34-year-old Bodden Town man who was arrested and charged by police earlier this month over allegations of rape, abduction and aggravated burglary told the court he was innocent of the charges against him when he appeared before a judge on Friday without legal representation for a bail application. Shane Connor (left) told the judge that he was not qualified to make the application and said he needed an attorney. Connor was then remanded in custody to George Town police station at the request of RCIPS detectives, who say they wish to question him in connection with other related allegations.

On 8 March Connor was charged with a rape committed sometime in January in Bodden Town, an abduction which also took place in January in the district of George Town, an aggravated burglary with intent to rape committed on 4 March in George Town and an indecent assault on a woman which is said to have also happened on 4 March in George Town.

On Friday Connor told the court that he did not know the details of the allegations against him as he said the crown had not disclosed any documents to him relating to the accusations. “AllI know is that I am an innocent man,” Connor told the court.

Justice Seymour Panton pointed out that everyone who comes before the courts charged with a crime is innocent until proven otherwise at trial, as he advised Connor to get an attorney. Connor was informed that given the seriousness of the charges against him he could obtain legal aid in order to engage a lawyer.

Category: Crime

Comments are closed.