Port finally releases withheld documents as ordered

| 13/12/2012

port office.JPG(CNS): Almost one year after CNS submitted a freedom of information (FOI) request regarding the negotiations with the former proposed cruise port developer, GLF, to develop the cruise berthing facilities in George Town, the Port Authority has finally released all of the records in accordance with the findings of the information commissioner’s October decision. On Monday, 10 December the Port Authority’s legal counsel informed the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) that their client would not seek a judicial review, one day after the 45 days the authority was given to release the information, delivering the documents to the commissioner’s office at 5pm.

The ICO checked that all of the records were present and passed the binder containing hundreds of documents to CNS.

The records include minutes from the board meeting in which members began to realize their vulnerability to legal action following the decision by the premier to abandon talks with GLF and switch to negotiations with China Harbour Engineering Company, and details of the final US$2.5 million settlement paid for by the Cayman taxpayer.

The documents also include correspondence from the premier in response to GLF’s threats of legal action and show that the withdrawal of GLF's original FOI request at the beginning of this year, which triggered the CNS request, was part of the settlement agreement between the port, government and GLF.

CNS will be examining the documents in detail over the coming days and will reveal their contents to readers as soon as possible.

Category: FOI

Comments (9)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    The Dictator's refusal to deal in the open, added to hiring a negotiator who thinks like he does, is bound to end in tears. 

    What is he trying to hide I wonder, refusing to answer questions,and by evading the scrutiny of the Central Tenders Committee as well as an educated public….?

  2. Hon. Absurdistani says:

    A triumph by CNS. Thank you. 

    But please note the key item revealed despite what certain politicians has previously said:

    "details of the final US$2.5 million settlement paid for by the Cayman taxpayer."

  3. The Smoking Gun says:

    "I haven't done anything wrong". Said the Premier.  If that is the case, these documents should show that. They should show to us a common sense approach to granting of a contract for the cruise ship facility which also followed the rules of procurement. Yes?  No??  Without any sign of intimidation or coercion by the Premier to members of the Board. He is after all, an elected official. In becoming the Premier he also took an oath of office saying he would uphold the Constitution as well as existing laws and regulations. He may not have read them, or understood them, but his ignorance is no excuse.

  4. Anonymous says:

    This promises to be a better read than anything by Wilbur Smith, a real page turner. The timing is perfect, too.

  5. John Evans says:

    Great result CNS. A tribute to your tenacity as journalists and the dedication of the ICO to the concept of FOI.

    After my successful appeal the Governor's office currently has about 24 days left to either release the Polaine/Aina documents or take the matter to the Grand Court. It will be interesting so see which course they choose.

    • Anonymous says:

      Given the awful ruling which is riddled with the most basic errors, it would be atrocious if the Governor did anything to comply.

  6. Anonymous says:

    Finally common sense has prevailed! 

  7. Anonymous says:

    Keep up the good work CNS