Dump fire extinguished

| 15/02/2014

(CNS) Updated 5:50pm Saturday: The blaze at the George Town landfill that fire officers have been battling since Wednesday morning was extinguished at four minutes past noon on Saturday, according to Acting Chief Fire Officer Rosworth McLaughlin. Earlier today he told CNS that a few firefighters would remain at the site until this evening to make sure that it doesn't start back up, however he has now decided to take extra precaution and keep a crew and reduced number of fire vehicles at the landfill until sometime tomorrow to address any possible reoccurrence of the fire. McLaughlin said that the DEH director was asked and has agreed to provide support to the fire crew throughout the night by maintaining a small team for immediate assistance if necessary.

The fire had been especially difficult to put out as experts estimated it was some 25 feet down inside the rubbish pile and requirednot just dousing but excavation and turning of the landfill to allow firefighters to direct the water cannons.

See related articles on CNS:

Firefighters to catch a break

Dump needs $1M equipment

Ozzie sets up dump committee

Category: Local News

Comments (18)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    If the dump was in Boddentown it would still be burning because  out off sight of our precious tourists then out of mind! Glad our firefighters moved fast to take care if it.

    We need to recycle and all of us as private citizens should not need Goverment to do that. There are plenty of private recycling companies that recycle! Let's help! We now recycle in our our home and have encouraged our neigours to do the same!

    Also just because we  are not mentioned it the paper, I have seen my neighbors pickling up garbage in our neighborhood, I even take my dog for a walk and bring a bag with me. We even recycle the plastics, cans and glass We pick up.

    This our country and lots of us do try and do our part. It is going to take all off us to deal with this garbage issue. And for the Editor of the Compass to keep telling us it needs to be moved so the rich are not inconvenience living near a dump is not the answer! Contaminating another site is also not the answer and I don't care how much money he spends to try and bully Govt. to move it!

    It is not going to happen!

    Thanks again to our firefighters! 

    • Anonymous says:

      I think a lot of us would rather it not be moved, but capping it and creating a new well managed site would be a lot better than doing nothing expecially if someone else pays for it. That's what you Bodden Townians don't get. You would rather have it just keep growing uncontrollably than to be a part of the solution.

      • Bodden Towner says:

        Excuse me but not all Bodden TownERS think that way…I also agree it needs to be capped and moved but the fact still remains that even though Dart will help set it up and pay for detting it, the government will ultimately have control over the dump again once he has completed his portion of the deal and what do you think will happen…the EXACT same thing that this dump is now. We don't only need a new dump, we need a system that we can afford that will be put into place to make sure this doesn't happen again. Personally I don't see that happeneing anytime soon so it would be futile to move it until then.

    • Anonymous says:

      If the waste facility was in BT there would be no fire. Lets face the facts.

      The new facility would not have combustlble components. We as a people have to start being smart ambitious and recycle.

      The BTers are losing great opportunities for not wanting it there. there are so much money to be made from waste. '

      But as the good book says..for the lack of knowledge my people shall perish!!!

  2. Anonymous says:



    These fires will continue because this methane problem at the landfill has been there for years. Gov't has there heads in the sand and waiting until the next election to talk about this.

  3. Anonymous says:

    That amount for trash would cover the whole island on the the Brac and cost millions to ship over there. Every district should be responsible for thier own trash..

  4. Otherview says:

    Why not permanently move one of the existing fire stations to a location at or near Our sacred and internationally publicized and recognized,infamous Mt. Trashmore? The new facility would boost moral, overtime would be minimalized along with response time, and Da  Mountain of Shame would be constantly monitored for such tourism killing events. It will happen again.  Like a  Category 5 hurricane, the question is not IF?, but WHEN?

    • Anonymous says:

      I agree that something should be done but surely that cannot be the best way forward.

      CIG is looking to cut spending, why on earth should they be encouraged to spend what they don't have to build a substation near the dump? Those funds should be spent on cleaning up the dump or moving it elsewhere.  And on upgrading the airport first then seeing about the port.

      It's a no brainer. Building a station near to manage the fire is absurd. More staff would have to be hired and trained to justify keeping all the sations opened. Else it will be a waste of funds to operate all the stations with little or no staff.  All just to keep a watch on the dump incase there is a fire? Are we saying then that the dump should stay?…There has to be a better solution.

      Food for thought…wonder if it was considered that the dump could possibly be set on fire the last two times to make the CIG look bad and force action.

      Let me make it clear…I am not for any party so I am not a PPM saying this. But think about it….something besides the dump smells….I could be wrong and hope I am. 

      CIG need to stop procrastinating and deal with this now…in my opinion the situation will only get worst.

      • Anonymous says:

        Even if it was intentionally set something needs to be done now. The dump is the biigest threat to our island and the solution can not wait. The CIG needs to do something about whether it's in place or not. Everything else can wait.

        • Anonymous says:
           
           
  5. Anonymous says:

    It’s a good thing our government never listened to those rich selfish folks or our island or this island would be burnt down along with their homes by cutting cig staff! Gt voter

    • Anonymous says:

      The staff cuts were not meant for fire services, just the dead weight sitting around doing nothing…

  6. Anonymous says:

    The dump should be closed and all rubbish sent to the Brac where a new recycling plant can provide much needed employment for Brackers

     

    • Anonymous says:

      Open a dump in each district!

    • Anonymous says:

      You nuts, That amount for trash would cover the whole island on the the Brac and cost millions to ship over there. Every district should be responsible for thier own trash..

    • Anonymous says:

      We on the Brac do not want your Garbage dumped on us, each district should manage thier own rubish and stop sending to someone else.

  7. SheepNoMore says:

    Thank you Fire Service! Keep fighting the fight – the people are on your side