Archive for August 15th, 2014

West Bay ladies return to court over road

| 15/08/2014 | 63 Comments

(CNS): Four women from the district of West Bay who mounted a legal challenge to the closure of the West Bay Road are continuing their fight next week with an appeal against the Grand Court’s decision in February this year that their action was out of time. Alice Mae Coe, Annie Multon, Ezmie Smith and Betty Ebanks will be in the Cayman Islands Court of Appeal on Monday using their own funds and donations from members of the public, to press the case. In the first instance the appeal panel will hear the ladies' application for protected costs, which is being contested, arguments over late submissions by government and Dart, and the dismissal of the appeal.

Although they received legal aid in the first instance the ladies are now funding the case personally with financial backing from individuals in the community who also support the cause. Despite the decision in the Grand Court going against them they have refused to give up what is turning into a David and Goliath fight, to regain access to a road that has been in use for more than 100 years.

The case is expected to open at 10am on Monday in Court Room 6.

The women were part of a much wider campaign against the closure of the road, which was part of a deal originally signed by McKeeva Bush when he was premier and included land swaps and the construction of the Esterley Tibbett’s highway extension into West Bay, while creating beachfront property on Dart-owned land along the last remaining undeveloped stretch of Seven Mile Beach.

Although only one part of the road that the islands’ largest developer wishes to be closed has been gazetted, the full stretch of road is closed except for access but negotiations with government and Dart remained stalled.

The most recent comments by the premier regarding the stalled talks over the so-called, ForCayman Investment Alliance and the NRA agreement were made more than two months ago. Premier Alden McLaughlin said that a meeting between him and the Dart CEO had led to a better understanding on both sides. He said that he had received a letter from Dart, which was described as “very helpful”, and was optimistic that the government and Dart would be able to come to terms on which they could agree, but nothing has been said since.

Continue Reading

Cayman government ‘astounded’ by blacklisting

| 15/08/2014 | 0 Comments

(CNS Business): The minister for financial services has said the decision by the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority to place the Cayman Islands on its high risk countries list, as reported by CNS Business on Thursday, defies logic. Astounded by the decision, Wayne Panton told CNS Business Thursday that government had already written to the FCA about the listing requesting a review and removal, but following the body’s refusal he was considering a judicial review. While Panton listed the reasons why Cayman should not be included, given the FCA’s published criteria, the financial watchdog said there was still a money laundering risk in the Cayman framework. Read more on CNS Business

Continue Reading