Man robbed at knifepoint

| 10/09/2008

(CNS): Police are investigating another violent robbery after a man was robbed at knife point in George Town on Tuesday night. The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service (RCIPS) said that this incident occurred outside the victim’s home. This is the fifth armed robbery reported to police in less than six weeks but Police Comissioner David George said recently he did not think the crimes were linked.

In the latest robbery the 911 Emergency Communications Centre received a call at around 11:40pm on 9 September from a member of the public reporting that he had been robbed by a man carrying a knife. Police officers responded to the location in Bodden Road and were told that the victim had been sitting outside his home when the offender approached him, threatened him and demanded he hand over his mobile phone. The offender then went into the house and stole another mobile phone and wallet from a second man’s bedroom. The man in this room was in bed at the time and was told to stay lying down. Neither victim was injured in the incident.

The offender is described as around 5ft 9ins tall, brown skinned with a moustache and was wearing a white baseball cap, with a white short sleeved polo shirt and long blue jeans pants. An area search was carried out but the offender was not located. However the RCIPS said today, (Wednesday ) that a number of leads  are currently being followed up by detectives from the George Town Criminal Investigation Department.

There are currently a number of unsolved armed robberies which the police continue to investigate all of which police have said appear unrelated. At a recent Police press briefing the Police Commissioner David George said  there were no clear links between the crimes.

On 31 July a man sitting in his car was robbed by a man carrying a handgun. On 1 August two men entered Pet Pro’s, Crewe Road, armed with handguns and stole an undisclosed amount of cash. On 8 August McRuss Grocery Store, Party Lane, was robbed by a man armed with a machete and on 11 August a security guard was robbed by two men, one of which was armed with a handgun.

 The Commissioner explained said that it would be unusual for a perpetrator to use a firearm in one incident and then in a short period of time commit another offence using a machete. “We are not closing our eyes to any possibilities but there doesn’t seem to be a thread with regards these crimes,” George added. “We are also still looking for witnesses and there are a couple of people who the perpetrators assisted in one of the crimes that haven’t come forward yet that could help the investigation.”

Anyone who recognises the description of the offender or has any information about the incident is asked to contact George Town CID on 949-4222 or Crime Stoppers on 800-8477. All persons calling crime stoppers remain anonymous, and are eligible for a reward of up to $1000, should their information lead to an arrest or recovery of property/drugs.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category: Uncategorised

Comments are closed.