Search continues for missing diver

| 21/09/2009

(CNS): UPDATE Monday 4:32 — Police have now said that a diver who went missing this morning is a 60-year-old man from Las Vegas, USA, and is visiting the Cayman Islands with his wife. A multi-agency search operation is underway off the North Wall. According to the RCIPS, the 911 Emergency Communications Centre received a call this morning (Monday, 21 September) from a staff member of Divers Down at the Treasure Island Resort at 9.40am reporting that a diver had gone missing on a boat dive at Eagle Ray Path, North Wall, just outside the Main Channel.

Police have been told the man was last seen at around 9.20am when the group was ascending. He has not been seen since.

A search operation commenced involving private dive boats, Department of Environment boats, the joint Customs, Immigration and Police Marine Unit aboard Tornado and Defender and the Air Support Unit. The Marine Unit dive team has also carried out a search of the area. Unfortunately the search has so far proved negative.

The man is described as wearing a short black wet suit with grey trim and a tank with
a yellow top. All boats in the area are asked to look out for the diver and call 911 or the Port
Authority should they spot anything. Officials will continue searching the area throughout the
day.
 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category: Local News

Comments are closed.