Visiting USA workers gassed in Cayman sewer

| 08/05/2014

CNS): Two contract workers from the USA are in the George Town hospital this evening in a stable condition after being gassed while working in a manhole in Grand Cayman’s sewer system. The men were taken to hospital Wednesday morning by emergency services after they were rescued from the manhole adjacent to the Esterley Tibbetts Highway, near the former Hyatt hotel. The Water Authority said one of the workers contracted from US Sewer and Drain, Inc, a Pennsylvania-based company, to clean and inspect the public sewerage system using closed-circuit television, was overwhelmed, most likely by sewer gases, during his work in the manhole and a second worker who tried to rescue him was also overcome.

One of the two men was then pulled out of the manhole by a Water Authority staff member and some helpful passers-by. Emergency services that arrived on the scene soon after being called assisted in the rescue of the second worker and immediately performed first aid, officials said in a release about the incident.

“A detailed investigation will be carried out to determine why the normal safety equipment, such as gas monitors, safety harnesses, lanyards etc, were not used in this instance, as the contract workers are properly trained in safety procedures, and particularly OSHA confined space entry,” the authority stated in the wake of the incident.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category: Health

About the Author ()

Comments (18)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    I do the SAME EXACT work that company does…. Infact I have worked with that company..  Sewer work is a hairy subject.. It's easy to just jump in the hole and jump out… It takes 1 minute… 9 times outta 10 the air in there is just fine.. Doesn't smell like poop doesn't smell like gas doesn't smell like any ring other than wet damp stagnant air… I don't blame the company one bit coming from an employee I would rather not use the safety equiptment because it's a hassle to even use… Only time I use harness tripod trip haZard after pain in the ass to set up and so time consuming, safety equiptment, is when I feel as if there's a danger according to the gas monitor… Or deep hole with rusty steps… Because it's faster to just climb in and climb out…. Ventilate the hole and be the mole!!!!! 

  2. Anonymous says:

    Confined space awareness training and ambient air monitor is mandatory for workplace safety.  Why wasn’t it done?

  3. Anonymous says:

    …..and where is the Director of DLP Mario the Fario and his OSHA team of investigators?  The only labour director that stays away from the important issues!!  SOme of us are just keeping seats warm!

  4. Anonymous says:

    Hard to believe that US workers would violate safety procedures. There is more to  the story.

  5. Anonymous says:

    Check the Compost if you want to see how to take the details and turn it into another story a la wedding dress.

  6. Anonymous says:

    So you are recommending that the tax payer (Government) employ safety monitors to beon every job site to ensure that persons follow their own well known safety rules????

    • Anonymous says:

      Why doesn't the government just train their own people to do the job in the first place instead of outsourcing the job?

      • Anonymous says:

        12:07, that is on the "next Government's" agenda, along with everything else they promised to do.

      • Anonymous says:

        Would you train for a job that is only done locally every blue moon?

  7. Anonymous says:

    Should have air blowers and a gas free certificate, or use respirators. somebody ignored all safety rules.

  8. just Sayin' says:

    Its a shitty job, but someone has to do it.

  9. Anonymous says:

    Maybe this will be the signal for the Government and the Labour Board to stop resting on their laurels and make workplace safety a serious priority.  I see serious violations everyday and it is only a matter of time before someone loses their life as has happened in the past.

    • Anonymous says:

      I agree it should be taken more seriously but how come the Americans were not following their own normal safe working practises?

      • Anonymous says:

        Because they were not in America. They were in the "Lawless Caymanas".

        • Anonymous says:

          Take some time to read the article, this happend in "Cayman Islands" not in your farm abroad, assuming thta that is the name you give to your progenitors home.

      • MEM says:

        Because Cayman is a great place to file a law suit…

    • Anonymous says:

      But that might get in the way of profit margins for wealthy local capital owning families. . .