DVDL issues warning on heavy equipment imports

| 01/09/2014

(CNS): Officials from the Department of Vehicle & Drivers’ Licensing are warning prospective importers off heavy equipment that they need to follow the formally-established policy otherwise their equipment may be refused entry. In a short release the DVDL said it was the importers' responsibility to ensure that the equipment being imported meets vehicle inspection requirements as stated in the Traffic Regulations 2012. “It is strongly recommended that persons complete the application process before purchasing the vehicle overseas. Failure to so do may result in the vehicle being refused entry at the port,” the officials warned in a release at the weekend.

The import procedures are now outlined in a new document which relates to the importation of trucks, bulldozers and other heavy equipment into the Cayman Islands. First, an application form, which is available from the DVDL, must be completed in respect of each piece of equipment intended to be imported in the Islands. Once completed, it must be submitted with a non-refundable $100 processing fee for each application. Applications will be processed in no more than five business days by the Ministry of Planning, Lands, Agriculture, Housing and Infrastructure.

Following this, the ministry will inform DVDL of the approval/refusal, and the applicant will be advised to collect the decision letter, from the DVDL’s Customer Service Desk. Letters of approval are valid for six months only – but, upon expiry, may be extended for a further six months if a written request is submitted to the ministry.

Applicants must present their import approval letter to Customs when the vehicle arrives in the Cayman Islands. Once cleared by Customs, the applicant must ensure that the vehicle is registered at DVDL in accordance with the Traffic Regulations 2012. Failure to do so is an offence under Section 6 (1) of the Traffic Law 2011.

The DVDL will carry out follow-up checks to ensure that registration process is completed. Anyone with queries may contact the DVDL’s Acting Deputy Director Courtney Myles at: Tel: 945 8344 (ext. 5512), direct line: 244-5512; or e-Mail: Courtney.Myles@gov.ky

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category: Local News

About the Author ()

Comments (16)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    Keep people down with more rules

    How third world that I must ask permission to buy something

    O i forgot we must protect those that have a bunch of garbage equipment on island allready


  2. Anonyanmous says:

    People  need jobs, food, water, electricity not more regulations.

    • Anonymous says:

      That is exactly why you need regulations to stop the madness in the country. The government have gone mad in givinig too much unbriddle opportunities to the foreigners. While you, the Caymanian starve.

      It was never like this 20 years ago, we all had control of our future. the Government sold us out, they are like prositutes, looking for who has the deepest pockets.

      • Anonymous says:

        At least this govt is trying to maintain some control.  The situation has been ignored for far too long

  3. Anonymous says:

    Regulation, Regulations, thank you Kurt Tibbetts. This Island is too small to be flooding it with heavy equipments.

    More regulations need to be implemented.

    I got to understand, years back when the heavy equipment guys tried to do a block ade on the dock, the police went after them with guns and they had to give up their protest.

    The police were in the wrong, they should have been sued. Our constituation gives us the rights to assembly,and to carry out peacful protest and demonstrations with out any police intervention. 

    • Anonymous says:

      Hey Donkey, before you go blaming any and everybody, you need to get your facts RIGHT. This policy has been around since 2008.

    • Anonymous says:

      Regulations , Regulations . This sounds like they are telling you that only certian peope would be able to  import haevy equipment .  What is the  $100 .00  non refundable handlying charge all about ?   Is it the same custom officer  that handle the paper work for the 27% import duty on such eqipment .  Or is it that this $ 100. 00 go into the bar room fund box .          Again dont protess with heavy equipment or guns because that could be taken as non peaceful  .   But 200 or 300 people comeing to a location of protess  with the  TV / NEWS MEDIA  AND YOUR OWN CAMERA  and expressing your issue is more than peaceful , and will be well documented in case the police say you were not peaceful .      We have to wake up and not let goverment regulations get in the way of us pursueing our dreams .

  4. Anonymous says:

    ah-boy, how about, apply and pay online, wait for email (customs gets a copy), and click print. 21st Century anyone?

    No wonder there is so much traffic on the road… because you gotta go here, then pay there, and pick-up over there, and then come back here, and then… wait. Where the hell am I? 

  5. Anonymous says:

    Just another form of "unadulterated beauratic harassment".


    • Anonymous says:

      I think you left out 'By People who wear uniforms' …….

    • Anonymous says:

      You know that little song on Youtube still makes me laugh, especially the bits with Foolio on keyboard.

  6. Anonymous says:

    Why does it need registration if it will never be driven on a public road

    • Anonymous says:

      This is why.


       Once completed, it must be submitted with a non-refundable $100 processing fee for each application"

    • Anonymous says:

      So the safety of workers is not important to you?

      • Anonymous says:

        Of course but that is a health and safety issue not a vehicle licensing one.

        If I buy a lawn mower should I take it to them. No

        If I buy a dirt or a quad bike?

        If I buy a boat do I take it to them. No

        What if I want a back-hoe just to dig around on my property. As long as it never hits the road whats the problem.

        What if I buy a rock crusher?

    • Anonymous says:

      Registration and licensing are two different things. Registration is for ownership, which is needed for insurance, etc. when doing jobs. Licensing is for travelling on public roads, etc.


      When you buy a car, you dont need to license it until you want to drive on the road. But you are required to register it