Salvage effort lands two boats on North Sound reef

| 19/11/2014

(CNS): The RCIPS Joint Marine Unit responded to a distress call Tuesday evening when a local fishing boat with six people on board, which was towing a sail boat, landed on the reef in the North Sound. Police explained that the 43ft local fishing boat had gone out to sea to help recover a boat which had been left at sea after the Canadian captain was airlifted to hospital here in Cayman by the US and Jamaican coast guards last week. The Cayman Defender responding to the fishing boat’s distress call at 6:53 last night and found it as well as the sail boat it was towing grounded on the reef near Fisherman’s Rock though no one was injured.

The incident occurred when the captain was attempting to negotiating the main channel as it towed the 25 foot unoccupied sailboat which it had recovered in open seas. It was not until early this morning, however, at high tide that both vessels were removed by the Captain who was able to maneuver the boats with the rising high tide.

The sailboat had been left at sea after the man piloting the vessel gave a distress which was responded to by  Jamaican & American Coast Guards.  The sailboat captain of was airlifted by by the US Coast Guard helicopter and brought to GCM last Friday 14 November but the vessel was left unattended.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category: Local News

About the Author ()

Comments (5)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    If you think the Main Channel is bad check the Rum Point channel. dont even mention the smaller ones. Half the time the buoys are out of place or missing. It is only a matter of time before someone is killed probably some poor foreigner not familiar with the local waters.   

  2. Anonymous says:

    Big money in salvage I can remember a time when ships were guided onto the reef on purpose

  3. Anonymous says:

    No doubt transitting the well marked channel into NS 

    Disgracefull….he hath floundered upon the sea

  4. Anonymous says:

    The main channel is not marked very well and as a result of this more and more of these incidents are happening.
    It is a shame that the Port Authority or whoever is responsible does not manage this channel properly with markers and maintain it.
    Anybody who has been through the main channel lately knows what I’m talking about.

    • Anonymous says:

      Question?  Who is at the helm ?  Is he capable or just warming an seat? Speak up about affects us or we will all flounder.