Archive for November 9th, 2008

Accused in Scott-Roberts’ murder allocated lawyers

| 09/11/2008 | 2 Comments

(CNS):  The two men accused of murdering Estella Scott-Roberts appeared in court for the second time on Thursday 6 November and a date has been set of 17 November for the preliminary issues. The two men have now been allocated lawyers to represent them throughout the proceedings and both were remanded in custody. On 30 October Larry Prinston Ricketts (25) and Kirkland Henry (27-left) were charged with the murder of Estella as well as robbery and abduction. Henry was also charged with rape.

 

During their first appearance the two Jamaican nationals, both work permit holders living in George Town employed as a gardener and a carpenter, appeared before Magistrate Margaret Ramsey Hale without legal representation they have since been allocated legal defenders — Lloyd Samson and John Furness will be acting for the men.

According to the Solicitor General, Cheryll Richards, there is significant evidence against both the men for the murder including material evidence, as they were both said to have had possession of Scott-Roberts’ cell phones. She also said there wasforensic evidence against them as well as detailed admissions. The two men are believed to have made confessions however no pleas have yet been submitted to the court by either of the accused.

Estella Scott-Roberts was the former director of the Crisis Centre and a fearless activist against violence in the community. She joined Cable and Wireless as a Communications Manager in 2006, but continued with her work campaigning against violence perpetrated on women and children. She was also a member of the Human Rights Committee and had recently worked with the Sexual Harassment and Stalking Task Force to help introduce a law against these acts.

Her body was found in her own burnt out car in the remote area of Barkers in West Bay on Saturday 11 October. She was last seen leaving Decker’s restaurant after having dinner with friends around 11-11:30 pm. Her car was eventually found after an extensive search involving, friends, family, the Department of Environment and the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service.

The news of her death sent shock waves through the community and fuelled extensive speculation over the motivations and potential perpetrators of Scott-Roberts violent death. Despite the distractions of the rumour mill which suggested her death could have been connected to her work, the police persisted with their lines of enquiry and arrested Kirkland and Henry on Monday, 27 October. Once the police announced they were charging the men with her murder, they said they were no longer able to make any comment. So far no motive has been officially offered for the crime and there is no indication whether Scott-Roberts was known, or not known, to either of the accused men.

 

Continue Reading

Two men arrested for attempted murder

| 09/11/2008 | 2 Comments

(CNS) Police said on Monday morning they had arrested a second man on various offences in connection with a stabbing which occurred on Saturday night. Yesterday morning officers arrested a 22-year-old man  in West Bay for various offences after one man was stabbed several times in the body and one woman received stab wounds to her hand. Both men remain in custody. The man arrested today was 25 years old.

Police said that the 911 Emergency Communications Centre received a call at around 9.40pm on Saturday night from a member of the public reporting that shots had been fired in the vicinity of Peppers nightclub. Soon after a second call was received from a man reporting that a man was behind Grand Pavilion and was suffering from what appeared to be a stab wound. Police and medics were deployed to the scene. The caller then stated that the victim was leaving the location. Police were then informed that the man was being driven by car to the hospital, with a second, female victim.

Police attended the hospital and found that the man had suffered a number of stab wounds to his body. The woman had suffered a stab wound to her hand. Both have since been treated and released from hospital.

Following investigations by George Town CID, the suspect was arrested in West Bay on Sunday morning  9 Novemberon suspicion of possessing an unlicensed firearm, attempted murder and wounding. He is currently in police custody. Today Monday 10 Novemebr polcie said they had arrested a second man yesterday afternoon also on suspicion of attempted murder, possession of an unlicensed firearm and wounding. Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact George Town CID on 949-4222.

Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact George Town CID on 949-4222. Anyonewith information about crime taking place in the Cayman Islands should contact their local police station or Crime Stoppers on 800-8477 (TIPS). All persons calling crime stoppers remain anonymous, and are eligible for a reward of up to $1000, should their information lead to an arrest or recovery of property/drugs.

 

Continue Reading

Brac starts pulling through

| 09/11/2008 | 4 Comments

(CNS):  The people of Cayman Brac may be facing mass destruction in the wake of Hurricane Paloma but they are already getting down to work this morning to start putting their beautiful island back together again. Ernie Scott, District Commissioner for the Sister Islands spoke with CNS and said Brackers had made it through their first post-Paloma night quite well and that help was literally pouring in to the island from Grand Cayman. (Also see See Sisters Info for the latest news)

“The Wave Ruler is here now and I’ve been chatting to the Captain who has fifty men that can help us with technical and infrastructure issues. We have supplies pouring in from Grand Cayman and because there was so little damage over there everyone is able to focus on what needs to be done here. We are getting plenty of food and help,” Scott said.

Although Little Cayman seems to have suffered considerable damage as well at this point it is Cayman Brac that has certainly had the worst hit. Scott said that some 90% of homes have lost part or all of their roofs. Billy’s Supermarket has been destroyed, gas stations are crushed, the police station and airport are damaged and the islands last remaining hotel, Brac Reef resort is devastated.

“Today’s focus will be on cutting trenches near the airport to drain the runway which has been flooded in parts. Although the twin otters can land we want to drain the whole length by tonight so the jet will then be able to come in,” Scott explained.

He said that he and other involved parties would be sitting down at 10:00 am this morning to set up a command centre to organise the recovery and form a plan. According to statements released by JCS (Joint Communication Services) yesterday a number of government officials will be heading to the Brac today with supplies. A team from CUC is also heading there to offer assistance to the Brac Power and Light Company.

As Paloma was a category three storm when it hit Cayman Brac and Little Cayman it should trigger immediate funding for re-building from the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility, a collective policy designed to help regional nations cope with the aftermath of major catastrophes which the Cayman Islands Government signed up to early last year.

In the meantime, Scott told CNS that with the support from Grand Cayman for which everyone was very grateful things were moving along on the Brac and the weather was OK at present. “Right now we have a few clouds and we’ve had some light drizzle but thank God no major rain with so many roofs gone.”  He said the most important thing was that there was no loss of life nor were there any serious injuries for which everyone was very grateful.

With power out and so much damage government has imposed a night time curfew on the Brac (but not Little Cayman) which will be in place each evening between 6 am to 6 pm.

However, Cayman Brac Power and Light Company is working round the clock to restore power to every resident on the island. "We will begin to energize small portions of the island, along the main road primarily, tomorrow around noon," said James Tibbetts General Manager.He said residents should make sure that no personal generators are connected to the mains breaker in houses. "We will be working to restore power from the power plant West to Stake Bay and then from the plant East to Watering place and small portions of the bluff and South Side. We have to still assess damages on some of the bluff and on South Side before we can re-energize everyone. We have mobilized our CUC partnership team and they will be arriving within a day or two to assist with recovery process."

He said that Little Cayman sustained major damage as well and teams will be working on recovery issues as almost everypole in the village area is broken. "We will try to energize certain portions by Monday," he added. "All residents should take necessary steps in securing basic needs such as food and water. Cayman Brac Power and Light is working around the clock to get power restored as quickly as possible and would like to thank everyone for giving us the right of way on streets. "

While phone lines are down we can be reached through the managers cell phone at 916-1656.

Paloma made its strike on Cayman Brac on the eve of 76th anniversary of one of the most devastating storms ever to hit the Cayman Islands – the 1932storm. It is believed that Paloma took a very similar direction to the ’32 storm. Early on 9 November, 1932 the storm passed Cayman Brac with winds of up to 155 miles per hour before sweeping into north–east into Cuba.

Keep checking CNS throughout the day for more news directly from the Sister Islands.

Continue Reading