Swallowed toothpick causes blood poisoning

| 11/09/2012

toothpicks.jpg(BBC): A woman developed severe blood poisoning and a liver abscess after inadvertently swallowing a toothpick. The toothpick perforated her gullet and lodged in a lobe of her liver. The patient, who is not being identified, has now recovered after having the toothpick removed. Such cases are rare, but the report, published by the British Medical Journal, says doctors need to look out for signs of "foreign bodies", as detection can be challenging. It is one of thousands of cases being logged at BMJ Case Reports, an online resource to allow doctors to share information about the treatment of difficult or unusual cases.

Go to article


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category: Health

About the Author ()

Comments are closed.